What We Do
The Volunteer Center of Whatcom County transforms people and neighborhoods by providing a means for volunteers, nonprofits, schools, government and health care organizations to come together to solve community challenges.
- The Volunteer Center of Whatcom County connects volunteers with opportunities to serve with hundreds of non-profit partners in Bellingham and Whatcom County.
- We partner with other non-profits to develop programs that benefit families, people with disabilities, and neighbors who are experiencing or on the brink of experiencing homelessness.
- We train agencies in working effectively with volunteers.
- We are integral to the Whatcom County safety net of services because we help nonprofits expand their capacity to recruit and manage volunteers successfully so that agencies can focus on providing vital services.
We Also Manage Programs
- Dream, Design, Create - Youth-Designed Volunteer Projects
- CHORE-Volunteers help keep Seniors living in their own homes
- House 2 Home-Virtual furniture bank for those leaving transitional housing
- Disaster Preparedness (RSVP)-Volunteer Mobilization Center to organize volunteers in disasters
- Tutoring and Mentoring (RSVP)-Volunteers share their experience and wisdom with young people
- Food Banks (RSVP)-Volunteers assist food banks in distributing food to those in need
- Veterans Transportation (RSVP)-Volunteers assist vets with transportation to medical appointments
- Volunteer Center Ambassadors (RSVP)-Spread the joy of volunteering
- Hot Sheet-Weekly electronic bulletin listing the 'hottest" volunteer opportunities
- Kudos Krew-Volunteers that interview outstanding VOLUNTEERS in our community
- Volunteers with Heart-Volunteer Committee recognizes extraordinary volunteers with Partner Agencies
- Bert Isackson Award-Our most heartfelt annual award given to a volunteer who is a role model for the community
- Make a Difference Day-One day in the year we highlight how volunteering can change a person's life
- National Volunteer Month-A full month in spring to highlight the wonderful things Partner Agencies do
- Business Outreach-Businesses already give back to community, we make sure you know about it
- Hovander House Volunteers-Volunteers keep this national historical treasure open on the weekends
- Partner Agency requests-Working with the hundreds of non-profits in Whatcom County
- Volunteer Roundtable-Monthly meeting of volunteer coordinators from around the county
- Volunteer Trainings in the Community-Training offered on important issues affecting volunteers
History of The Volunteer Center